Keratin Treatment: Pre-, During, and Post-Appointment
What to expect for the best results with your Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy (not flattening!) or Keratin Complex Express Treatment.
Please review the care recommendations in this post before you make your keratin treatment appointment to be sure you can commit to the practices and purchase any needed item.
- Keratin Smoothing Treatment FAQs (Most frequently asked FAQ? What’s the difference between smoothing therapy and flattening/straitening?)
- Keratin Smoothing Treatment – Seven Time Winner!
- Keratin First-Timer
BEFORE YOUR KERATIN APPOINTMENT
- Get your permanent color, semi-permanent color or highlights directly before your keratin treatment. The treatment seals in the color, making it last longer and appear more vibrant.
- Make sure no event requiring an up-do, hat, or any bands or clips is on your schedule as hair must hang loose for three days after your treatment.
- Review your calendar to be sure nothing requiring your hair to get wet is planned for the three days after your treatment. This includes visits to humid places like the San Francisco Bay, our coast, and aquariums.
- Check the weather forecast. Keratin treatments are fine for rainy days, but you’ll definitely want a rain coat with a loose hood and an umbrella.
- Tell your house mates that your hair must not get wet for three days after.
- Keratin treatments are not recommended for pregnant or nursing women.
- Stock up on sulfate-free shampoo and conditioners. More on this below.
DURING YOUR KERATIN APPOINTMENT
- Please allow a two- to three-hour window for the Natural Keratin Smoothing Treatment and a one-hour window for Express Blow Out.
- Bring some entertainment (you won’t be able to wear earplugs.) Magazines, books, tablet, check your e-mails, play Sudoku, etc.
- Know that you (your stylist, and other Halo guests) are safe. We use Keratin Complex brand. No formaldehyde or harmful chemicals.
FOR THREE DAYS AFTER YOUR KERATIN APPOINTMENT
Care during the 72 hours after your treatment (eight hours for our express keratin treatment) is key for optimal and the longest-lasting results. The means three days of strict adherence to these guidelines:
Do not get your hair wet!
- When you shower, use the absolute best shower cap. The Dry Diva brand – available at every Halo location – has never let us down.
- If you work out and/or sweat, get to a dryer asap. Blow-dry and flat iron with medium to low heat as soon as possible.
- No swimming, not even with a swim cap.
- No saunas, baths, hot tubs, steam showers, skiing, skating.
- Carry an umbrella and a loose rain hat, or even a plastic shower cap, everywhere if rain or fog is in the forecast.
- When you wash your face or brush your teeth, use a shower cap or spa band to hold back your hair. Long hair can get tucked into the back of your shirt to prevent it from falling into water.
- We offer several brands – including Keratin Complex – of dry shampoo, which may be used in small doses. But if you can stand it, embrace your three-day hair as it naturally is.
- Repeat, do not allow your hair to get wet! H2O in all forms – liquid, gas, even solid – is your enemy.
- Avoid making any impressions on the hair from clips, ponytail holders, hats, or sunglasses.
- Resist the urge to tuck your hair behind your ears.
- No up-dos with bands or clips.
- No braids.
- At night, sleep with hair loose.
MORE THAN THREE DAYS AFTER
The Natural Keratin Smoothing Treatment lasts up to five months, and Express Blow Out up to six weeks, depending on lifestyle, maintenance and adherence to all aftercare instructions.
Using shampoos that contain sulfate will ruin your Keratin treatment. To maintain your results, you must use sodium chloride-free hair products. We recommend and carry Keratin Complex brand Keratin Care Shampoo and Conditioner and Keratin Color Care Shampoo and Conditioner.
We recommend that the hair be cut after the treatment, as the hair will have a smoother texture and will lie differently.
We recommend waiting at least two weeks before coloring your hair.
The hair will be more manageable and easy to style, and will be resistant to humidity. It will feel noticeably softer and silkier, with added life, shine and vibrancy.